WELCOME TO OUR BLOG



Dear Friends, Students, Faculty Members and lovers of books,

This is Deb Stevens. I am the administrative director for the American Academy of Bookbinding based out of Telluride, Colorado. This blog was started as a way for all of us, those who have studied at AAB, friends of AAB, as well as those who want to find out more about this place, can keep in touch with each other during the year. I'll be posting all kinds of photos, news and updates as regularly as possible (or newsworthy). I hope you will also share any bookbinding thoughts, questions, revelations, etc. Send me your photos and let us all know what you're up to. Keep connected!



Tuesday, May 31, 2011


A CLASS TO REMEMBER!

In a word.... WHEW! What an incredible two weeks!  

Ingredients:
  • 12 students with varying levels of experience and knowledge, all with unique personalities and backgrounds
  • 1 fabulous, DEDICATED and PATIENT instructor
  • 1 incredible facility and equipment
  • 1 super organized and thoughtful administrator (Judy) with perfect memory
  • 14 days of mostly lousy weather
  • 1 gondola field trip
Combine ingredients in large box canyon (Telluride). Mix well. Add a pinch (?!) of humor. Mix some more. Keep mixing until all the lumps are gone and you have a smooth blend (kinda like paste). Place in press off and on. Cut into rectangles. Yield: +/- 30 books and some pretty lasting friendships.

Call me biased... I LOVED this class. It was, of course, my first BIG class. For me, it was a total delight. I learned so much! (I daresay Don did too...;-) What a lot of work for everyone but, in the end, a success. A big THANK YOU! to everyone in the class and to Don for his excellent guidance, skill and gentle demeanor. This was a large class but everyone worked together, supported and helped each other, and felt they gained in numerous ways - skill, understanding, experience. In some ways, we became like a family as well... an extra bonus! I could not have had a better experience for my first go around at learning what this place is all about.















Don receives an award!.. a gift from the National Archives of Malaysia.


More later!

Posted by Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment