WELCOME TO OUR BLOG



Dear Friends, Students, Faculty Members and lovers of books,

This is Deb Stevens. I am the administrative director for the American Academy of Bookbinding based out of Telluride, Colorado. This blog was started as a way for all of us, those who have studied at AAB, friends of AAB, as well as those who want to find out more about this place, can keep in touch with each other during the year. I'll be posting all kinds of photos, news and updates as regularly as possible (or newsworthy). I hope you will also share any bookbinding thoughts, questions, revelations, etc. Send me your photos and let us all know what you're up to. Keep connected!



Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Don and students from his fine binding class last week. The weather this fall has been a dream! Warm, sunny days. See what you are missing!!!!



SUZANNE MOORE IN FULL SWING

Suzanne Moore, acclaimed artist extraordinaire, is at AAB teaching "Pigment on Paper." The class of 11 1/2 (the half is me, who observes lectures and will be making paper by the end of the week...I swear!) is the largest class we have had in some time. We are managing extremely well with the new tables, new sinks, etc. Everyone seems happy and comfortable. Since this is only day 2, the experimenting is just taking off. Suzanne has demoed a number of techniques and participants are launching on individual projects with a book in mind. They will be making sheets for their books...paste paper sheets that could be used for the end pages, the covers or the textblock sheets.

I must say before I go any further that I am humbled and in awe of the creative genius of Suzanne Moore. WOW! What imagination, what a creative mind, what a long career filled with amazing calligraphy and books. This is the best part of my job, being able to work with such amazing artists. I am so lucky. I am so lucky to be able to see these artists at work, and to learn from them. I can't say enough about the extraordinary artists that teach here at AAB.

Enough from me. Enjoy the photos from these first two days of class. On Thursday we host an open house for the public to see the work, catch a slide show by Suzanne, and check out the facility. If you are in the area, please stop by between 5:00 and 7:oopm.

Jody from Lakewood, CO

Myssie Light of Houston, TX

Nancy from Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Don and Suzanne (Don left today...boo hoo!)

Anne Marie from Montrose, CO

Suzanne showing a book she hasn't seen in 20 years, a book that she and her husband, Don Glaister, made together. The title is George and the Egyptian, and it is wonderful exerpts from a Mark Twain original manuscript that was never published. It describes the house that he and his wife lived in in Connecticut, and some the characters who were a part of their lives at the time. The images and binding are stunning. I didn't get a chance to read the text, but I'll be able to take a closer look this week. One of Suzanne's collectors (who happens to be in the class) brought it for us to see. Such a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment